Agincourt Community Services Association (ACSA) is a nonprofit, multi service agency addressing needs and empowering children, youth, newcomers, homeless, and otherwise underserved communities. ACSA is looking for a Settlement Counselor (Housing Support) who will provide newcomers with case management support with particular focus on finding affordable housing options, advocating with landlords, raising awareness on tenant rights and responsibilities, and referral to other community resources.
Summary of Job Functions
- Provide case management support for newcomers with particular focus on helping them develop individual plans, goals and activities to respond to their housing needs
- Plan and facilitate orientation workshops that relate to housing and related topics
- Assist in other wrap-around support for newcomers (i.e. food delivery for newcomers, webinars, language support, etc.)
- Work collaboratively with ACSA’s Housing department to respond to newcomer housing needs
- Provide support to newcomers to respond to tenant needs and emergencies
- Provide support in advocating to landlords
- Prepare reports and entries to database.
- Provide case management services, counseling, referral, advocacy and orientation services to newcomers
- Develop action plans related to providing housing support and monitor client progress in terms of meeting their housing goals
- Provide interpretation services and assist with filling out forms
- Provide information and referral services for participating clients to other programs and services in the community and government offices
- Plan, organize, implement and evaluate community-based settlement services and integration programs for new immigrants including adults, women, families, youth, LGBTQ+, and seniors to promote self-advocacy, resilience, sense of belonging, and full participation in Canadian Society
- Conduct community outreach, identifying individuals and families needing services, and support their connection to community services
- Manage and maintain case files and program statistics in a confidential and professional manner; track data / statistics; prepare and submit reports
- Enter client information in the database on a timely manner
- Prepare and write high quality case management reports and other reports required by the Project
- Assist in other wrap around initiatives of ACSA (I.e. food security initiatives; life skills activities)
- Post-secondary education in Social Work or Community/Social Services
- At least 2 years experience working with newcomers, immigrants and refugees
- Knowledge of systemic reasons for homelessness and sensitivity to people of different socio-economic backgrounds
- Demonstrated skills in administration, conflict resolution, crisis intervention, goal setting and informal counseling required
- Knowledge of the Residential Tenancies Act and other relevant legislation is an asset
- Strong written and oral English communication skills
- Strong computer skills and use of database
- Must have the ability to work as part of a team as well as in unsupervised situations
- High level case management and report writing skills
- Excellent internal and external customer service focus
- Extensive experience in cross-cultural counseling
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a fast paced environment
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team with minimal supervision
- Ability to work flexible hours, evening and occasional weekend work
- Ability to lift items (donations) of 20 lbs or more if needed additional help
- Ability to provide wrap around support such as food delivery, etc. if needed
- Driver’s license G2/G and access to a car is an asset
- Ability to speak another language is a strong asset
- Newcomers with skills and experience relevant to the job are encouraged to apply
- LGBTQ+ newcomers are encouraged to apply
- Immediately available to start by July 13th.
How to apply:
Please apply by email (cover letter & resume in one attachment) quote : Settlement Counselor – Housing Support to:
Attention: Jamillah T. Mananghaya-Poernama, Manager
ACSA is strongly committed to fostering diversity within our community. We welcome those who would contribute to the further diversification of our staff including, but not limited to, women, visible minorities, Aboriginal peoples, persons with disabilities, and/or persons of any sexual orientation, gender identity, and gender expression.
Thank you to all applicants for their interest in the position. However, only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for an interview. No phone calls please.
If you are contacted by ACSA regarding a job opportunity and need accommodation throughout a hiring process, please contact Yelena Galochkina, HR Generalist at firstname.lastname@example.org. This address is for accommodation inquiries ONLY. Job applications sent to it will not be considered.