Employment Type: Full-Time, Contract
Work Hours: 35 hours per week
Salary: $27.10 per hour (L5,1)
Location: 222 Dixon Road, Etobicoke, ON M9P 3S5
Contract Start Date: April 1, 2023
Contract End Date: December 31, 2023
Application Deadline: Monday, March 13, 2023
JOIN OUR TEAM
YWCA Toronto strives to uphold anti-discrimination practices and anti-oppression principles to ensure that the rights of all individuals are respected and protected. We work to promote a climate that is welcoming of all women and individuals who identify as Trans, intersex, non-binary, agender, and/or Two-Spirit. We encourage applications from women and gender diverse people from all races, ethnic origins, religions, abilities and sexual orientations.
The Settlement Employment Counsellor/Digital Facilitator is accountable to the Manager for the provision of in-person and remote, individual and group, pre-employment, life skills, wellness, employment and settlement services to newcomer women. The position ensures clients receive appropriate services, support and assistance to settle and adapt to Canadian society.
ABOUT YWCA TORONTO – YWCA JUMP ETOBICOKE
YWCA JUMP Etobicoke is a settlement program for newcomer women, female youth and gender diverse people in North and Central Etobicoke. The program has a strong employment emphasis paired with services addressing the adaptation, settlement and integration needs of newcomer women, female youth and gender diverse people. A comprehensive portfolio of services include: needs assessment, information and orientation, pre-employment, job search and skills training programs, wellness and mental health supports, community connections and professional networking opportunities; satellite workshops are offered in the North/West end of the GTA.
• Provides pre-employment and employment services to newcomer girls and women through one-on-one support in job search areas such as resume writing, cover letters, digital job search, professional branding, employee rights, interview preparation etc;
• Delivers pre-employment, employment and settlement related workshops in-person at the Etobicoke location or on-line, using Zoom or similar training software;
• Delivers itinerant training services to a network of community partners covering areas that include West Toronto and the North-West part of the GTA including Peel and Halton regions;
• Develops new program activities and training sessions to meet clients’ needs and to respond to current trends in the settlement sector e.g. online program delivery;
• Provides settlement assistance to newcomer girls and women in Etobicoke through individual counselling, group programs, social and recreational activities, and community development initiatives;
• Provides supportive counselling in person, by phone, or via video conferencing, via Zoom or WhatsApp where necessary, using a case management approach;
• Educates and disseminates information regarding newcomer girls and women through workshops, seminars and conferences individually or in conjunction with other settlement;
• Completes administrative duties to produce reports in iCARE, CTS, Survey Monkey and other required software used by the program;
• Maintains case files and related information, producing monthly reports on measurable outcomes based on the funding agreement.
• In-depth knowledge of an academic or technical discipline normally acquired through completion of an undergraduate degree in Social Work, Psychology, Adult Education or equivalent. Work involves application of theoretical knowledge to job-related problems (Cases for Equivalency will be considered);
• 1-3 years directly related work experience;
• Knowledge and experience directly related to pre-employment, employment and settlement issues, of newcomer girls and women;
• Excellent command of online learning platform and social media technologies to deliver webinars, educational and counselling services;
• High command of in-person, group facilitation skills required;
• Advanced competency in Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, Outlook and Social Media Apps;
• Life Skills Training is considered an asset;
• Counselling approach that is flexible, de-escalates tension, teaches conflict resolution and is focused on success;
• Operates in an environment that has minimal supervision, requires flexibility, adaptability and problem-solving skills;
• Knowledge of the needs and issues of newcomer girls, women and gender-diverse people;
• Excellent customer service, verbal and written communication skills;
• Very strong organizational skills and detail-oriented to process documentation and complete data entry;
• Strong English language skills both verbal and written with the ability to communicate effectively;
• Knowledge of another language an asset (e.g. Somali, Tamil, Urdu, Hindi, Arabic, Mandarin, Bengali);
• Cultural sensitivity and ability to communicate with clients from diverse cultures and backgrounds;
• Demonstrated ability to work and co-operate in a team;
• Knowledge and understanding of trauma, mental health issues, advocacy and /or substance abuse issues an asset;
• Ability to maintain a positive approach and a professional manner at all times;
• Ability to work within an anti-oppression and feminist framework;
• Demonstrated ability to work under pressure.
Vaccination Policy: - In accordance with YWCA Toronto’s COVID-19 Vaccination Policy, all YWCA Toronto employees, students and volunteers are strongly encouraged to obtain all COVID-19 vaccinations and booster doses as recommended by Toronto Public Health.
Please submit your cover letter and résumé to Qaiser Khan, Interim Manager of JUMP Etobicoke,
email@example.com. Please quote JOB ID number JUMP847 and your name in the subject line.
Please note: A vulnerable sector police reference check is required by the successful candidate prior to hiring. YWCA Toronto is a unionized workplace. Staff are represented by CUPE Local 2189. This position is not within the Bargaining Unit.
YWCA Toronto promotes the principles of anti-oppression and adheres to the tenets of the Ontario Human Rights Code. We encourage applications from women and gender diverse people of all races, ethnic origins, religions, abilities and sexual orientations.
YWCA Toronto provides accommodation during all parts of the hiring process, upon request, to applicants with disabilities. If contacted, please advise us if you require any accommodation. While we thank all candidates for their interest, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
YWCA Toronto is a Scent-Sensitive Workplace.