The Settlement Worker is responsible for providing settlement and integration services to newcomers and refugees ensuring their successful adjustment in Canada as well as connections to their new communities. There are two (2) opportunities:
- A Russian and Hebrew Speaking contract position ending March 31, 2021 for up to 35 hours per week.
- A Kurmanji speaking contract position for 6 months for up to 30 hours per week.
- To provide supportive counselling, referrals, and information, to empower clients to solve and cope with problems and crisis arising from immigration.
- Conduct in depth assessments of client needs and develop settlement plans.
- Identify barriers to clients’ settlement and integration and create a plan to address identified barriers.
- Provide crisis intervention as required.
- Carry an active case load of newcomer families.
- Develop and implement program initiatives to address settlement needs and connect newcomers to their community.
- Through a Case Management service model, assist clients with information and orientation, referrals, crisis intervention and supportive counselling services for all clients.
- Provide guidance and coordination of efforts to constituent groups for the successful settlement of refugees.
- Organize and facilitate group information, orientation sessions, and outreach initiatives.
- Liaise with government, community groups, educational institutions, volunteers and others regarding services for clients.
- Assists clients in navigating government systems including completing required documentation.
- Complete refugee sponsorship applications in a timely manner.
- Provide immigration information and guidance as well as assistance with required immigration documentation.
- Provide pre-arrival and intake services as needed.
- Provide services to ensure JIAS meets Sponsorship Agreement Holders (SAH) responsibilities.
- Ensure recordings/case notes are completed in a timely and fulsome manner.
- Evaluate services and prepare reports as required.
- Other duties as assigned or required.
- Degree or Diploma in the field of Human Services, Social Service Worker, or equivalent.
- 3 years of related work experience with newcomers and refugees.
- Thorough knowledge of settlement issues facing refugees and newcomers.
- Knowledge of and/or experience in the Settlement sector, not for profit sector, and/or in a social service Agency.
- Working knowledge of immigration regulations and procedures.
- Knowledge of the Private Sponsorship of Refugees (PSR) Program.
- Strong computer/resource research skills.
- Fluency in languages that relate to the Agency client base will be considered an asset such as Hebrew, Russian, Arabic, Tigrinya, Farsi, Kurmanji, etc.
How to apply:
If you are interested in applying for this position, please submit your cover letter and résumé to:
JIAS Toronto is conveniently located at 4600 Bathurst Street in Toronto. On the premises you will find free parking, a daycare centre and a gym.
At JIAS Toronto, we welcome, support and integrate immigrants today to build a strong Canada and a strong Jewish Community of tomorrow. JIAS Toronto is committed to the principle of equal opportunity employment. Accommodations during all phases of the hire process will be made wherever possible. Please advise us if any accommodations are required.
Thank you to all applicants for their interest; however, only those considered for an interview will be contacted. To learn more about JIAS Toronto, please visit: www.jiastoronto.org.