The Settlement Worker will perform as a member of the settlement team to assist immigrants, refugees and their families in their settlement and integration process. The Settlement Worker will conduct needs assessments, make referrals, conduct workshops and information sessions, write letters and conduct one-on-one interviews with newcomer families. Individually and in groups, the incumbent will plan, co-ordinate and implement settlement-related activities and presentations for large and small audiences with the approval and in consultation with the Manager and other relevant staff.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The Settlement Worker performs a wide range of duties including some or all of the following:
• Provide direct services to newcomer families
• Outreach to newcomer individuals and families in Peel Region.
• Conduct settlement needs assessments of newcomer families.
• Assist families to prioritize settlement needs
• Provide newcomer families with settlement orientation, information and referrals to agencies
• Facilitate the access of newcomer families to activities, committees, councils and associations
• Facilitate referrals to community resources and services when there are barrier due to language and/or culture
• Advocate on a newcomer’s behalf when appropriate
• Provide services in a supportive and sensitive manner maintaining client confidentiality
• Research and present information on a variety of multicultural and life skills issues
• Participate in the development and delivery of workshops newcomers and community members on such issues as: cultural sensitivity, educational systems, parenting issues in the Canadian context, general orientation and information meetings to help newcomer students and families adjust to life in Canadian Society
• Promote settlement-related programs and activities to the community in Peel Region.
• Develop and prepare newcomer settlement packages for distribution to newcomer families; (i.e. school information, map of community, community and government resources, public transit information)
• Participate on committees, attend workshops, conferences and seminars as approved by the Program Coordinator
• Maintain and submit statistical information and reports as required by funder.
• Maintain overall management of client caseload
• Maintain updated information on services, resources and policies that are relevant to the settlement process
• Ensure appropriate and confidential handling of client information and files
• Submit regular administrative reports as required by PMC
• Comply with PMC personnel policy and Standards, and Code of Conduct
• Comply with policies and protocols of funder and the Peel Multicultural Council
Education and Experience:
• Post-Secondary education in a related field of social work
• Demonstrated experience working in the social services or a community-based organization
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Knowledge of legislation, policies and issues regarding immigrants and refugees
• Excellent interpersonal skills; understanding of cultures and sensitivity to immigrant and refugee issues
• Substantial knowledge of research methodology and use of research tools
• Cross cultural communication skills
• Knowledge and commitment to anti-racism and ethno-cultural equity principles
• Experience in conducting assessments and surveys for needs determination and evaluation
• Excellent oral and written English skills, public speaking, report writing, facilitating meetings and other designated language
• Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills, diplomacy and tact
• Language other than English
• Own transportation; valid driver’s license and insurance
How to Apply:
Please forward your resume and cover letter quote “Settlement Worker” on the subject line by: Friday, August 06, 2021 to E-mail: email@example.com