Rites of Passage, Community Programs
Rites of Passage (ROP) is a culturally based coming of age process which, in this instant, assists young people, of Afrikan descent, as they make their transition from adolescence to responsible adulthood. The target population for this program is youth aged 12-24 years old.
- Ensure that the delivery of the ROP process is executed in the identified communities.
- Work with Management to train staff in the delivery of the model and ensure continuous development of the team.
- Co-ordinate all outreach activities needed to attract young participants into each cohort.
- Facilitate the building of new partnerships with community networks that can support the ROP process.
- Engage directly with youth, and other community organizations online to answer inquiries, create relationships, and/or host live online events.
- Ensure the anti-racism objectives and community development principles of the organization are achieved within the program.
- Provide on-going support and feedback to participants and program staff.
- Assist in promoting, advertising, and outreaching for the ROP process.
- Coordinate all program logistics, for example, securing sites, program supplies and materials, ensure that all ROP cohorts are sufficiently staffed, scheduling meetings, etc.
- Undergraduate Degree in Social Services or a related field.
- 4+ years of experience working with young people in community development activities.
- Demonstrate a sound understanding of Afrikan history and, more importantly, the implication of this history on the current day lives of young people.
- Ability to coordinate a team around outreach and build partnerships with schools, community, recreational centres, libraries, community organizations, and natural spaces where young people congregate.
- Understanding of the youth maturation processes and the ability to support the team, working to reinstall ROP as a viable maturation process, which ultimately guides young people and equips them with the tools to successfully emerge into productive and responsible adults.
- Demonstrated outreach, marketing, organizational, and planning skills.
- Effective communication (written and oral) and presentation skills.
- Strong computer skills with knowledge of Windows 7, MS Office, MS Teams, Menti, Canva, and Social Media (Instagram and Facebook).
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively in a team.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Strong group presentation and facilitation skills.
- Demonstrated ability to plan, implement, and evaluate online content.
- Strong time management skills.
- Demonstrated group leadership and program development skills.