The LINC program (Language Instruction for Newcomers to Canada) is for Literacy and levels 1 to 8. Classes are held between Monday and Friday on various schedules during the day.
These are non-union “on call” positions. Successful candidates need to be able to supply in person in all locations.
DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Design, implement, and instruct English as a Second Language classes in a LINC program based on the PBLA (Portfolio Based Language Assessment) guidelines.
• Provide in-person instruction in the classroom and online instruction (synchronous and asynchronous) using virtual conferencing tools, language learning software and MS programs.
• Design PBLA based module plans as well as daily lesson plans following the Revised Canadian Language Benchmarks 2012.
• Develop a diversity of course materials that are based on the LINC Curriculum Guidelines in a task-based program.
• Conduct needs assessments with learners, assist them to set learning goals and develop lessons accordingly as required.
• Design assessment tasks for on-going evaluation of learners’ progress based on the Canadian Language Benchmarks and PBLA guidelines.
• Coach learners in organizing and updating their PBLA E-Portfolio on Avenue.ca as evidence of their learning progress.
• Integrate online resources and Learning Management System such as Avenue.ca in language instruction.
• Prepare learners’ progress reports and conduct one-on-one interviews with learners to provide feedback on learning progress as required.
• Maintain attendance records and other documentation as required.
• Organize guest speakers and special events to enhance learners’ participation and cultural experience.
• TESL certificate from an accredited institution recognized by TESL Ontario.
• Valid certification from TESL Ontario.
• Experience teaching English as a Second Language to adult newcomers.
• Understanding of and experience using the Revised Canadian Language Benchmarks 2012, the LINC Curriculum Guidelines and ESL for Adult Literacy Learners (ALL) 2015.
• Preference will be given to candidates who have completed PBLA (Portfolio Based Language Assessment) and Avenue.ca Stage 2 training.
• Experience providing online training through a Moodle-based Learning Management System will be an asset.
• Experience providing adult instruction using virtual delivery tools and software (e.g. MS-Teams, Zoom, Google Classroom, etc.)
• Proficient in using MS programs, email and internet for communication and instruction.
• Ability to adapt teaching methodology to the needs/skill levels of individual learners.
• Excellent English communication and interpersonal skills.
• Experience working in a multicultural environment.
• Demonstrated sensitivity to the needs of adult immigrants and refugees.
• Ability to work independently with excellent organizational and time management skills.
• Must be fully vaccinated or be exempt from vaccination on human rights grounds. COSTI reserves the right to require information establishing the validity of the exemption
Note: Successful incumbent must complete online PBLA and Avenue.ca Stage 2 training within 3 months when training becomes available.
Vaughan Welcome Centre
9100 Jane Street, Vaughan ON
Newmarket Welcome Centre
16655 Yonge Street, Newmarket ON
Richmond Hill Welcome Centre
9325 Yonge Street, Richmond Hill ON
Markham North Welcome Centre
8400 Woodbine Ave, Markham ON
North York Centre
1700 Wilson Ave, North York
DURATION: April 11, 2023 to August 31, 2023
SALARY RANGE: $37.06 per hour
POSTING DATE: March 22, 2023
CLOSING DATE: April 4, 2023
Qualified candidates are invited to submit their resumes and cover letters as one file quoting reference #84-23 to the below link: