COSTI is a multicultural organization providing social services, settlement, employment, and language training services. For more information about COSTI, please visit our website at www.costi.org.
COSTI requires supply instructors for the LINC program (Language Instruction for Newcomers to Canada) for Literacy and levels 1 to 8. Classes are held between Monday and Friday on various schedules during the day.
These are non-union “on call” positions. Successful candidates need to be able to supply in all locations.
- Design, implement, and instruct English as a Second Language classes in a LINC program based on the PBLA (Portfolio Based Language Assessment) guidelines.
- Design PBLA based module plans as well as daily lesson plans following the Revised Canadian Language Benchmarks 2012.
- Develop a diversity of course materials that are based on the LINC Curriculum Guidelines in a task-based program.
- Conduct needs assessments with learners, assist them to set learning goals and develop lessons accordingly as required
- Design assessment tasks for on-going evaluation of learners’ progress based on the Canadian Language Benchmarks and PBLA guidelines
- Assist learners in organizing and updating the PBLA Language Companions (learner portfolios) as evidence of their learning progress
- Provide computer-assisted instruction using language learning software and MS Office programs where appropriate. Integrate online resources and delivery tools such as LearnIT2Teach in language instruction
- Prepare learners’ progress reports and conduct one-on-one interviews with learners to provide feedback on learning progress as required
- Maintain attendance records and other documentation as required
- Organize special events to enhance learners’ participation and cultural experience
- TESL certificate from an accredited institution recognized by TESL Ontario
- Certified by TESL Ontario
- Experience teaching English as a Second Language to adult newcomers
- In depth understanding of and experience using the Revised Canadian Language Benchmarks 2012, the LINC Curriculum Guidelines and ESL for Adult Literacy Learners (ALL) 2015
- Preference will be given to candidates who have completed PBLA (Portfolio Based Language Assessment) and LearnIT2Teach Stage 2 training
- Experience providing online training will be an asset
- Experience providing adult instruction using software associated with the LINC Program (e.g., Ellis, Clarity and Explore Canada) as well as Microsoft Word, Excel email and the Internet
- Ability to adapt teaching methodology to the needs/skill levels of individual learners
- Excellent English communication and interpersonal skills
- Experience working in a multicultural environment
- Demonstrated sensitivity to the needs of adult immigrants and refugees
- Ability to work independently with excellent organizational and time management skills
- Must have access to a car. The ability to travel to all COSTI LINC locations is required
Note: Successful incumbent must complete online PBLA training within 3 months when training becomes available.
Remote work during COVID-19 pandemic.
How to apply:
Qualified candidates are invited to submit their resumes and cover letters as one file.