North York Community House (“NYCH”) has been committed to working with individuals, groups and neighbourhoods to address the issues that are of concern to them for over 26 years. From reducing isolation for newcomers and providing support to new parents, to bringing together residents to strengthen their communities, our goal is to provide the support people need today, in order for them to succeed tomorrow.
This position incorporates both an external and internal area of focus related to training and capacity building. The position will provide leadership to the Community Connections team in capacity building and community development. Externally, the position is responsible for developing and delivering high quality training and ongoing learning opportunities to community members. Using a community development approach this position will create opportunities for training based on community engagement, environmental scans, census track data, demographics and evaluative data.
Trainings and a range of educational opportunities will be delivered based on adult education and popular educational approaches. The position will develop and maintain new external partnerships. Internally, this position will be responsible for coordinating all community trainings that are offered across NYCH programs and will work with NYCH program teams to ensure that all trainings are based on the NYCH training model to ensure consistent and high quality training.
Reports To: Manager, Community Connections
Develop and deliver high quality training that engages and reflects the learning goals of the target community to build and enhance community capacity.
- Work with Community Connections team to identify opportunities for capacity building and training in neighborhoods traditionally served by NYCH as well as communities new to NYCH
- Identify, test and implement new learning strategies, labs, resources, and online learning tools that will enable learners to reach their fullest potential
- Ensure that community trainings are planned and implemented using a range of approaches such as adult education and popular education that will support active community engagement and build community participation and ownership
- Collect and analyze evaluation data and other relevant research to ensure continuous quality improvement
Work collaboratively with all NYCH program teams to ensure that all trainings and capacity building opportunities are participatory, engaging and high quality. Responsible for ensuring that all program staff who do community trainings/ workshops are familiar with and utilize the NYCH training model, i.e. detailed curriculum and tools, utilize systematic evaluation tools, collect and analyze evaluation data and use this information for future planning etc.
- Review and revise the NYCH training model on ongoing basis, based on current research, best practices and feedback from community members
- Promote collaboration amongst all NYCH trainers / facilitators and facilitate opportunities for staff to reflect on their work, share their experience and expertise, and learn from each other to ensure that programming is as effective as possible
- Keep up-to-date on new practices in training and facilitation including e- learning
- Develop and maintain external partnerships with learning institutions and other key stakeholders
- Prepare reports and budgets, and support development of funding proposals (e.g. providing research/evaluation data program descriptions, etc.) as required
- Participate in team and organization meetings, trainings and events
- Ensure all program records, receipts and files are maintained securely and submitted
- Experience and Skills
- Minimum 3 years’ demonstrated experience in training design, development and coordination
- Understanding of and experience working with community development theory and practice
- Strong ability to engage and motivate clients, and create enthusiasm about learning
- Good understanding of and ability to work within an adult education framework
- Proven experience in training and facilitation using a variety of tools and approaches
- Excellent time management, attention to detail, and ability to effectively manage multiple tasks
- Strong oral and written communication skills in English
- Experience working with diverse communities, and strong understanding of issues facing people with low-income, people of colour, and newcomers to Canada
- Strong writing skills including conducting program evaluations and preparing clear, concise reports
- Excellent teamwork skills and ability to work well with diverse stakeholder groups
The minimum level of education is a degree in social work, social services, adult education or related field. Education or training in group facilitation is an asset. Personality Dimensions certification is an asset.
- Work schedule will be determined with supervisor based on program needs. This position will require some evening/weekend work, and travel within the GTA.
- Responsible for carrying/caring for a laptop and cell phone. A police reference check (including vulnerable sector screening) is required.
Start Date: August 2018
Annual Salary: $50,000
Hours: Full-time, 35 hours/week
Location: Bathurst-Finch, and other NYCH locations
How to apply:
Please submit cover letter and resume by: Monday, July 23, 2018 at 5:00 p.m.to:
Training Coordinator – Hiring Committee, North York Community House
700 Lawrence Ave. W., Suite 226
Toronto, ON M6A 3B4
NYCH is committed to creating an inclusive and diverse workplace and encourages applications from marginalized communities. Additionally, accommodation will be provided as required throughout the interview and employment process. If you require accommodation, please let us know in advance and we will work with you to meet your needs.
Thank you to all who have submitted their resume, however, we will only contact candidates selected for an interview.