IWC is hiring a part-time WorkLINC Instructors, for 13.75 hours/week (currently scheduled for 2.75 hours/day, Monday to Friday, evenings). The WorkLINC Instructor delivers industry-specific English language training for newcomers to Canada. Work is currently remote, with the possibility of moving to in-person services (located in downtown Hamilton) in January 2021.
- Deliver functional language training related to working in Information Technology industries, and other industries as required.
- Research and develop content for target industries to provide opportunities for practical, occupation-specific language learning to students seeking work in those fields. Establish clear objectives for all lessons, modules, and assessment tasks and communicate those objectives to students through a daily posted agenda
- Create learning materials for participants based on cohort members’ target jobs within the target industry.
- Deliver content to prepare participants to pass relevant certifications including, but not limited to WHMIS, Health and Safety and micro certifications related to working in IT and emerging technologies
- Deliver daily lessons in an online and/or in-person setting that is conducive to confidence building in communication through movement, interaction and discussions using multimedia and other visual aids; promotes action and variety, where students can act and mock activities related to the specific industry; and reflects and actively uses real world communication of the labour market
- Prepare & file reports on students and activities as required by administration
- Use and maximize the technology available to deliver engaging and effective online and/or in person classes as appropriate.
- Perform other related duties pertinent to the program as required.
- Post-secondary education in a related field
- Certification in teaching ESL from a recognized Canadian institution
- Minimum two (2) years’ recent work experience in an industry other than teaching ESL; applicants with work experienced in IT and emerging technologies will be prioritized
- Experience delivering training related to emerging technologies is preferred. Experience delivering training related to computer use and digital literacy is required.
- Superior proficiency in use of video conferencing tools
- Experience teaching online and using a Learning Management System is an asset
- Superior proficiency in English
- Awareness of cultural diversity & sensitivity, anti-racism and anti-oppression theory
- Positive approach to working with newcomers to Canada
- Willingness to research industry-specific and job-specific course content and material.
How to apply:
Send a resume and cover letter to:
The Hiring Committee