The Youth Settlement Specialist will be responsible for working directly with families to help them settle and integrate. These are 1 contract position of 28 hours/week up to March 31, 2021 with a good the possibility of renewing the contract (dependent on funding).
Fluency in Farsi or Dari is a requirement.
- Provide referrals linking clients with specific settlement needs to available resources in the community
- Dispenses practical guidance and counselling to assist clients who are encountering difficulties in adjusting to life in Canada.
- Provide interpretation to facilitate interaction between the newcomer and the community and assist with the newcomer’s day-to-day needs prior to obtaining basic knowledge of one of the official languages
- Provide online and in-person group information sessions for newcomer families and teachers to support the integration process
- Work as part of the Settlement Team to ensure the smooth delivery and coordination of services to clients
- Conduct outreach and information sessions online and in-person for schools and other community agencies
- Maintain client and volunteer files, monthly reports and relevant program assignments
- Assume other responsibilities that may be assigned which contribute to the team effort and achieve HMC Connections’ mission
- Other duties as assigned
- Post-secondary education in the field of Social Services and/or two years’ experience working/volunteering with families
- Able to relate to newcomer families and has an understanding of the unique experiences of newcomer families/youth and the process of integration
- Self-motivated, creative and high energy; able to work independently and within a team context
- Excellent problem solving skills with strong verbal and written communications
- Excellent organizational and computer skills with ability to work with clients by phone, email and online
- Knowledge of group processes and online/ in-person facilitation techniques
- An ability to work as part of an effective team with other program staff, committee members, community members and other community professionals
- Experience working with clients, ethno-racial groups and community
- Basic or advanced knowledge of conference apps/platforms like Zoom
- Must have a clean driving record and access to a reliable car as there will be local travel
- For this posting, fluency in Farsi or Dari is required
- Valid police clearance with vulnerable sector screening
This is a 1 contract position of 28 hours/week up to March 31, 2021 with a good the possibility of renewing the contract (dependent on funding).
Rate of pay $28.26/hr.
How to apply:
Please send your resume and cover letter by June 22, 2020 before 4:00 p.m. to:
Thank you to all applicants, however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted. Only those considered for interviews will be contacted, no phone calls please.