Centre for Immigrant and Community Services - CICS is a not-for-profit organization with a mission to empower newcomers in settling and integrating CICS is a not-for-profit organization with a mission to empower newcomers in settling and integrating as contributing members of Canadian society through diverse, professional and innovative programs and services. We work to enable newcomers to fully integrate, participate and contribute to all spheres of Canadian society. Our success stems from our workforce culture bound by three core values: Compassion, Inclusivity and Collaboration.
- Design, organize, facilitate, and evaluate group sessions and workshops for immigrant youth and their families
- Keep abreast of the needs of and extend outreach to multicultural immigrant/at risk/low income youths
- Provide information, supportive counseling and make referrals to help immigrant youths and families understand Canadian systems in their integration processes
- Provide one-on-one and case management service to immigrant/at risk/low income youths
- Facilitate access to needed services and resources where there are barriers due to language, culture, race, and class by providing interpretation or translation
- Recruit volunteers for program activities on coordination with the Assistant Program Manager, Community and Volunteer Engagement
- Keep and maintain records in a timely and professional manners
- Keep the team updated on all new information by tracking government policies and community resources in order to effectively inform and refer clients
- Update clients’ database and prepare statistical reports
- Attend internal/external meetings, as required
- Monitor program activities, budget and expenses as required
- Establish and maintain excellent service quality for clients
- Establish and maintain excellent working relationship and communication with internal and external groups
- Canadian university degree in Social Work or equivalent in Social Sciences
- Excellent understanding of cultural and social background of immigrant youth and families
- Excellent understanding of settlement and integration issues faced by immigrant youth and their families
- Excellent knowledge of government and community resources
- Be innovative and skilled in program design, activity organization and community outreach
- Possess excellent youth programming skills
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills with youth and parents
- Accomplished skills in life skills facilitation, performing arts, sports, etc.
- Demonstrated experience in working with immigrant/low-income youth and families
- Certified Information and Referral Specialist (CIRS), an asset
- Proficiency in written and spoken English, and a South Asian language, preferably Hindi, Punjabi, Guajarati, and Urdu
- Able to work in a multi-cultural environment
- Proficiency in computer; Microsoft Office, graphic software and social media that facilitate work, communication and online marketing
- Flexible, willing to work evenings and weekends
- Vulnerable Sector Screening is mandatory
- Able to travel in the GTA, and has a valid driver license and possession of a car is preferred
Term: September 2019 to March 2020 (6-month contract)
Hours: 35 hours per week; may require working irregular hours including evenings, weekends and some holidays
Current Rate: $22.82 per hour
Location: 5284 Highway 7 East, Markham ON
How to Apply:
Resumes and cover letters are to be sent to CICS by noon on September 26, 2019 to:
Application should quote # Job # 19B-19 / Youth Worker South Asian Languages and address the covering letter.
CICS is an equal opportunity employer. We provide accommodations during the recruitment process for persons with disabilities if required. This will be in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians Disability Act and Ontario Human Rights Code.
Thank you to all those who respond to this posting. Only those selected for further screening will be contacted. No telephone call inquiries, please.