The Canadian Centre for Victims of Torture is looking for a Post-Secondary student to fill the position of Youth Worker. The Youth Worker is part of a flexible team who delivers services to torture survivors and their families. This position involves traveling as well as evening and weekend work.
- Assists in the intake of potential youth clients
- Organizes joint activities for mentors and mentees
- Develops plan of action in consultation with mentors and mentees
- Plans and supervises recreational activities
- Provides support to children, youth and their parents as required
- Books appointments, makes referrals to appropriate service provider (e.g. legal, medical, housing, immigration, education, employment, etc.) sometimes accompanies client to appointments
- Supports the weekly youth group
- Identifies and connects with potential partner organizations
- Prepares reports on volume and effectiveness of services, as per CCVT’s requirements
- Participates in the preparation of CCVT’s special events
- May be required to work flexible hours including evenings and weekends.
- Education in Social services, Teaching, Nursing or related field
- Experience working with community organizations, or NGOs, or hospitals
- Knowledge of newcomer youth, refugee and immigrant issues
- Experience in group facilitation and public speaking
- Able to work as a team member and independently
- Ability to speak, read and write a second languages an asset
- Knowledge and skills to work effectively with people of diverse social identities
- Experience with word processing, internet and basic data management programs
- Flexible, as some evening and weekend work is required
This is a summer student position from July 15 to September 6, 2019.
How to Apply:
Interested applicants are asked to submit their resume and cover letter by July 12, 2019 to:
Thank you to all applicants for their interest in CCVT, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.