The Citizenship Resource is an instructor's resource for planning, developing and teaching lessons about Canadian citizenship concepts in LINC, ESL and citizenship preparation classes.
Developed as a companion piece to the study guide Discover Canada: The Rights and Responsibilities of Citizenship, the Citizenship Resource complements a series of CIC-funded resources for LINC programs:
- LINC 1-5 Curriculum Guidelines
- LINC 5-7 Curriculum Guidelines
- LINC 1-4 Classroom Activities and
- LINC 5-7 Classroom Activities: Volumes 1 & 2
The Citizenship Resource consists of seven chapters based on citizenship-related themes that reflect the overall organization and content of Discover Canada, the study guide that helps newcomers prepare to become Canadian citizens.
The chapters are:
- Rights and Responsibilities of Citizenship
- Who We Are
- Canada's History
- Canada's Government
- Elections in Canada
- Canadian Symbols
- Canada's Regions and Economy
Each chapter consists of two parts:
- a planning framework for CLB 1-8 that provides ideas and resources for planning and developing lessons using features of CLB-based and task-based instruction; and
- a Sample Activitiessection with instructional tools illustrating the planning process presented in the framework. These tools include ready-made reproducible activities with audio material and related instructor notes.
- Citizenship Resource (PDF)
- User Guide
- Chapter 1 - Rights and Responsibilities of Citizenship
- Chapter 2 - Who We Are
- Chapter 3 - Canada's History
- Chapter 4 - Canada's Government
- Chapter 5 - Elections in Canada
- Chapter 6 - Canadian Symbols
- Chapter 7 - Canada's Regions and Economy
- User Guide
Each volume also includes audio files. See below.
- You can download an entire chapter. There are seven chapters in total. Each chapter title below is a link to a .ZIP file containing all the chapter files. All audio files are in MP3 format.
- You can download individual MP3 files as well. The audio files in each chapter are listed below.
The Toronto Catholic District School Board grants you permission to download these audio files for non-commercial use only. You may not edit, alter, republish, post, transmit, make available to the public, sell or otherwise commercialise these audio files in any way. All title, ownership rights and intellectual property rights of these audio files shall remain the property of the Toronto Catholic District School Board or third parties.
- Date Published